Sports

Walking Is Very Benficial for Health

It seems that nowadays, since the technology has become such a huge part of our life, we are more sedentary than ever. This is very hazardous for our health, even if it might not seem so. According to doctors, one of the best things we could do in order to increase our overall health is to be active. One of the simplest types of exercises we could do is walk. That is it. We do not need to go to the gym, and do very complex exercises. Sure, if you can do them, it is advisable to do them, but it seems that walking can be very beneficial as well.

The benefits of walking

Walking could be the best exercise which improves your overall health. Its main benefit is the fact that it is very simple as well. If you go for a walk each day, you will feel better. On top of that, the senior citizens who do it will maintain their ability of doing various tasks, and they will be able to remain independent as well. Barbara Bushman, a health professor at Missouri State University, who creates walking routines for sedentary men and women, stated that walking is the perfect exercise for the elder people.

It seems that walking is not only beneficial for the physical health; it is beneficial for the brain as well. Walking can protect the brain against dementia and memory loss. It also reduces the risk of heart disease, and the possibility of developing type 2 diabetes. The experts have stated that the benefits can be seen after 30 minutes of walking various times per week. The experts have also stated that the majority of people need to move. They stated that only 30 percent of the people with ages between 45 and 64 engage in regular physical activities. Only 25 percent of the people with ages between 65 and 74 are physically active, the remaining 75 percent have a sedentary lifestyle.

The Go4Life Campaign

As a result, the National Institute on Aging has created a national campaign called Go4Life, which urges people to be more active. There are many overweight people who want to walk but are afraid to do it. Rick Genter was one of them. He is a 51-year old software engineer in Redwood City California. Ten years ago he was morbidly obese; he lived in Boston, and he sat all day at a computer. Needless to say, that lifestyle took a toll on his overall health. He stated that his whole family was obese.

The doctors advised him to do some physical exercises. He chose walking, because he enjoyed it. He started with 30 minutes sessions, and as he lost weight, he increased the time. He then started walking to home, 7 miles each way. He combined the exercise with a healthy diet, and after one year, he lost more than 186 pounds. He reached his desired weight of 200 pounds, and he stated that he is happier than ever. He started walking, and the benefits came soon afterwards.

Related posts:

Leave a Comment

Powered by themekiller.com anime4online.com animextoon.com apk4phone.com tengag.com moviekillers.com