Correction of myopia, astigmatism and hyperopia can be done with the excimer laser through the LASEK treatment technique (laser epithelial keratomileusis) under the following conditions:
1. Myopia must be less than -7D-8D and the patient should be over 18. It is very important to stabilize the myopia. If the myopia is associated with astigmatism, it must have a maximum value of 4D depending on the associated myopia. For example, a 4D astigmatism associated with myopia can be treated with laser if the myopia greater than-2D. The opportunity of a laser correction is determined for each case depending on corneal thickness, corneal topography and, last but not least, the experience of the ophthalmologist.
2. Myopic astigmatism is less than 5D, while not associated with myopia.
3. Sightedness can be corrected with laser after the age of 40, when the diopters for distance have stabilized. A patient of 45 years, who has +1.50D for distance and +2.50D for reading, will remain without glasses for distance after the laser correction. Reading glasses will be +1.00D.
4. Mixed astigmatism should not exceed +3.50D.
5. Astigmatism Hyperopia can be corrected if its value is less than +2.50D.
What happens if myopia is greater than-7-8D or less than this value, but the patient has a cornea that is too thin for laser treatment?
Due to advances in the refractive surgery field, refractive implants appeared – some small lens that is fixed on the iris through a surgery that takes 10 minutes. Patients had -15D were amazed the next day when they could see very well at distance without glasses.
Consultation prior to laser correction
What you should do to remove glasses or contact lenses using the laser?
Be aware that preliminary ophthalmologic consultation is required. First you measure your visual acuity with and without glasses or contact lenses. Then perform an autorefractometric providing data on your myopia and / or astigmatism. Based on this a highly accurate optical correction is calculated.
The anterior pole of the eye is examined with a slit lamp to detect any eye diseases that could prevent this type of treatment. After analyzing the fundus, a computerized corneal topography and ultrasound pahimetrie (if needed) are performed and then you are explained all the aspects of this type of treatment.
The LASEK technique laser correction and the period after treatment
What happens to the visual acuity after correction with the laser LASEK technique? How do we see? How much time do we need to take off? When will we be able to drive?
Laser correction using this technique is a superficial laser treatment and therefore there is no risk of vision loss. This treatment takes about 5 minutes per eye (both eyes treated in the same session) and is performed under local anesthesia with drops.
At the end you will not have bandages, but therapeutic contact lenses that you wear for four days without being removed.
The elimination of myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism with the LASEK laser technique is not a surgery, but laser treatment! This procedure is not at risk for blindness or impairment of vision!
Incoming search terms:
- myopic astigmatism glasses