If you have opened this article then it means you are ready for Atkins Diet Phase 1. This is one of the most famous diets around the globe and that’s why we’ve decided to write today a Beginners’ Guide for the Atkins Diet.
Most experts believe that a healthy diet, which helps us lose weight, involves the consumption of low-fat foods and carbohydrates. But Atkins diet tells us exactly the opposite – in order to lose weight, you must eat products with a high content of fat and low in carbohydrates.
The philosophy of Atkins Diet menu
The organism is capable of burning both fat and carbohydrates in order to produce the energy needed for proper functioning. Carbohydrates, in the form of glucose, represent the first source used by the body to produce energy.
Dr Atkins also suggests that by reducing the amount of carbohydrates, the human organism will pass from burning the carbohydrates to burning fat for energy. This process is known as lipolysis, the secondary result of it being ketosis.
Although most people follow the principles of this diet because it helps them lose weight in a short period of time, they should know that this Atkins diet plan can also help lower the cholesterol level, prevent hypertension, diabetes and even polycystic ovary syndrome.
Moreover, after just one week of keeping the Atkins diet people say that they start to feel more energetic.
The Phases of Atkins Diet
Atkins weight loss program requires the completion of four individual stages. For each stage it is recommended the consumption of certain foods that have the mission to help you lose weight and maintain you tremendous figure.
Atkins Diet phase 1: Induction
This phase of the Atkins Diet must be kept for at least 14 days, period after which you will notice the first changes in your body and you will feel prepared for the next steps.
Warning! You can eat maximum 20 grams of carbohydrates every day.
The food plan is based on a process called ketosis. As the name suggests, the first phase of the Atkins diet induces weight loss through the process of burning fat instead of carbohydrates, as first source of energy.
This not only reduces the appetite, by stabilizing blood sugar levels, but also eliminates our craving for sweets, wheat, alcohol, caffeine, grains and other foods. In other words, this diet works by changing the chemistry of our body.
Rules for Atkins Diet Phase 1:
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day;
- Have three main meals every day;
- Adopt a balanced diet based on a correct combination of fat and protein: chicken, fish, eggs, red meat, butter, olive oil or other types of oil;
- Do not eat more than 20 grams of carbohydrates daily;
- In the first two weeks of this stage do not eat seeds, nuts or peanuts;
- Avoid caffeine consumption in the form of coffee, tea or energy drinks;
- The Atkins diet also need you to replace sugar with artificial sweeteners;
- Give up snacks;
- Do not eat sauces as they contain great amounts of carbohydrates;
- Your daily diet should also contain fruits, vegetables and salads.
Atkins Diet phase 2: Weight Loss
If you have finished, Atkins Diet Phase 1, then you are ready for the second phase of the Atkins diet, represented by weight loss. During this phase, the amount of carbohydrates will increase by 5 grams per week until it reaches the critical carbohydrate level between 25 and 50 grams of carbohydrates per day. In this stage of the Atkins diet you should lose 1-2 kg per week.
It is recommended the considerable consumption of vegetables, fruits and also nuts, seeds. This phase marks a slow change in the ratio of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
During this stage the body must identify the necessary amount of carbohydrates. In addition, you will discover how your body reacts during the introduction of new foods in your daily diet, being able to identify the products that can cause allergies, bloating, etc.
The foods recommended for the Atkins Diet phase 2:
- Vegetables: onion, green pepper, broccoli, spinach, avocado;
- Dairy products: cheese, mozzarella;
- Fruit juices: Lemon;
- Nuts, seeds, almonds.
Atkins Diet phase 3: Pre-maintenance
The role of the third and forth stages of the Atkins Diet is to maintain the body weight. The third phase, called “ pre – maintenance” must be adopted when you almost reached the ideal body mass. The third stage of the Atkins diet has as a purpose the maintenance of your body weight by increasing the amount of carbohydrates with 10 grams per week. The food plan will allow the consumption of a diversified menu, as long as it is not excessive.
Atkins Diet phase 4: Maintenance
You enter into the last stage of the Atkins diet when you reach the desired weight and you have learned to select the categories of foods that will provide the amount of carbohydrates needed to maintain your silhouette.
Rules for maintaining the desired figure:
- Do not eat canned food which contains sugar and additives.
- Stay away from products with a high content of sugar, corn syrup, starch or flour.
- Variety is the spice of life – keep this in mind to stay motivated. Try as many recipes as you can.
- The consumption of caffeine and alcohol must be strictly limited.
- Use nutritional supplements and vitamins.
- Act promptly and drastically when you begin to gain weight.
- Do physical exercises every day.
This is the Atkins diet and we would like to congratulate you even if you only completed Atkins Diet Phase 1!
Incoming search terms:
- nu vot